Thursday, August 13, 2009

Iron Bitches

It's around ten am. The sky is growing dark. Storms are approaching. You can tell it's going to be one of those days where thunder and lightning and rain rages on and off, all day. And depending on where you are, either work or school, you will watch the storm out the windows and feel cozy and warm.

The last week has been like this almost every day. It's either muggy and shitty or pouring like Florida. Yesterday, the weather fit my mood impeccably. I went into work. I didn't talk to anyone. I did my job and tried not to kill anyone. Including myself.

Was it just the weather?

No. It was my rag.

Get ready for a heavy dose of TMI, FartyGirl style. My period is coming, folks. And when the rag is on it's way, it's like an oncoming train. High pitched whistles pierce through the air. The ground shakes. In other words, I feel like total shit.

One of my male friends once asked me, "Is it really that bad?"

Yeah. It is. Yesterday, I had no energy to do anything. I had what doctors call "lead limbs." I walked around work, struggling to lift trays and clean up after my tables. I drank coffee, coconut water, soymilk - nothing helped.

I also kinda majorly wanted to kill myself. At one point, the cooks in the kitchen started laughing. I was dead sure it was about me. Everyone hates me, I thought. Why am I here?

From somewhere inside of me, I remembered that the rag was due. Iron, I told myself. I bet I need some iron.

On the way home from work, I stopped at my local whole foods store and went hunting.

Honestly? The thought of eating chicken did cross my mind. But then I found this.



A bar of sesame seeds. According to the wrapper, the iron content is 90% of what you need for one day. I bought it. I sat in my car. I ate it.

BLAMMO! A wave of power shot through my body. I was awake. I was happy. I was restored.

Iron, bitches. Don't forget to dope up on that iron. It's amazing what it can do for you.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I wish you had posted this yesterday! That's exactly how I felt. Now today I'm home on the couch in sweatpants and hoodie, curled up in the fetal position with the worst pms pain I've ever experienced. Blech.

Farty Girl said...

raspberry leaf tea is another one. drink it just before your period and you won't get any cramps at all.

Tiffany said...

We love your TMI - that's what we're here for. I wonder if Bumble bars would help too. I love those!!!!

Hope you're feeling better.

(and I guess we'll know when you're not so jokey about killing yourself....but don't make me call somebody, k?)

starsweet4 said...

Magnesium always works for me. I take Epsom salt baths a lot. When I get busy and forget to do it and have my period, I writhe in pain and wonder why I'm cramping so bad, until I remember it's because I've had no magnesium in a while. Nice blog, btw..

Heather said...

The Oskri company just moved to my town last summer.The factory-retail store is about a quarter mile from my house. I'm there a lot :) I adore their bars.

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

90% huh? Not bad, but I don't know if I've ever seen the Oskri bars at my Whole Foods. Will have to look more closely as I feel like I am walking around with "lead limbs" 24/7 these days. Me and the little snickerdoodle thank you. :)