Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Microwave Muffin: A Saga





First - I caught word of the microwave muffin on VegWeb.


All of their recipes contained sugar. So I set out to make my own microwave muffin. It had to be vegan, because I was vegan.







Sweet Potato Cake

1/8 cup millet flour
1/8 cup corn or rice flour
1/2 medium sweet potato or yam
1 Tablespoon flax seed meal
1/8 cup almond milk
2 Tablespoons vegan soy-free butter
Pinch of baking powder
Pinch of salt
10-15 drops stevia

Mix with a fork in a mug. Let batter sit for about five minutes. Then nuke for 2 and 1/2 minutes on high. With a little nudge, the muffin should fall right out of the mug.








Here's another one I made...






Coconut Cashew Cake

1/8 cup coconut flour
1/8 cup millet flour
2 Tablespoons flax seed meal
1 Tablespoon cashew butter
1/8-1/4 cup almond milk
Pinch of baking powder
Pinch of salt
10-15 drops of stevia

*For supermoist cake: add 1 Tablespoon vegan butter*

Mix with a fork in a mug. Let batter sit for about five minutes. Then nuke for 2 and 1/2 minutes on high. With a little nudge, the muffin should fall right out of the mug.



Lucuma Icing

1 Tablespoon vegan butter
3 Tablespoons lucuma powder
Almond milk
7-10 drops of stevia

Combine ingredients. Whisk with fork. Add almond milk to desired consistency. It tastes like maple syrup!!!








I played with different shapes and forms...






... this one was made in the bottom of a big bowl!





... and layered with raw honey and tahini sauce







Then - I discovered...








Not vegan, not egg-free, this muffin has the best consistency than any other I've made. It's quicker than the rest. It's cheaper. It gives me POWER!


And it's delicious...








Here's the current recipe I use for the one-minutey... which has since become two-minutey...


2 MMM

1/4 cup flax seed meal
1 egg
1 tablespoon cocoa or cinnamon
1 teaspoon coconut or olive oil
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon non-dairy milk
1 packet or 5-10 drops of stevia
salt pinches

Mix with a fork in a mug. Nuke for 2 minutes on high. With a little nudge, the muffin should fall right out of the mug.








On Facebook, I saw Sarena from the The Non-Dairy Queen doing something completely different!





Chocolate Protein Microwave Cake

1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I used Life's Basics), this was a serving of protein powder per their   measurements
2 TBSP cocoa powder (I used Scharffen Berger)
2 TBSP quick oats
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 packs stevia
1/2 cup chocolate almond milk (I used Almond Breeze)
1/2 cup egg whites

Mix everything together. Pour into a sprayed microwave safe soup size bowl. Microwave 6-7 minutes.



Here's her blueberry one!







Toots

How you feel about the microwave?

What's your favorite light and powerful breakfast? 

What breakfast works for your tum?















3 comments:

Rita & Mom said...

Great post - quick yummies for those who have no patience! (Like me) Thanks for sharing!

'Drea said...

Everything looks good. I'm gonna try the one minute muffin...

Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said...

The egg is key to fluff in the microwave! Yours look so good! I want to try a cornbread version with my vanilla protein powder. I love sweet cornbread and I think that would be soooo good!