Monday, November 19, 2012

A Farty Tale



The Fairy Tale pumpkin is part of that collective of foods that are too pretty to eat. There is seriously no better use than to turn one into a carriage and ride it to a fancy party.

The Mennonites were selling Fairy Tale pumpkins at my local market last weekend for a dollar a pop. I bought two. Fairy Tale pumpkins, along with Cheese pumpkins, are the absolute best for making pumpkiny desserts. AND both usually cost five dollars each.


Remember how I'm broke?


I had a box of this in the cupboard...




The universe was calling me to make something...




 



Okay, so I didn't make the crust by hand.

Typically I buy crusts premade and frozen in the green "gluten free" section of Kimberton Whole Foods.

So this was a step for me. Not a big step. But a step.





I mean, first off... this happened...




My Gluten Free Pantry Pie Crust refused to roll for me. It turned into a big lump - like cookie dough. This possibly could've been avoided if I added oil or gluten free flour to the rolling area.


But I wasn't feelin' that.


So I just pushed it into the pan and...






Every time I make pumpkin pie, I do it differently. I've made vegan, non-vegan, gluten free, gluteny, non-dairy, dairy... I've made it with regular pumpkins, cheese pumpkins, canned pumpkins... you get me. I even made pumpkin pie with melted ice cream once.


I have yet to fuck up a pumpkin pie. 



Okay, that's a lie. 



Once - I used molasses as the sweetener. THAT was dumb. Don't do that. It makes for an ugly looking pie that you have to force feed yourself to eat.


Here's this year's recipe...





Farty Tale Pumpkin Pie


Ingredients
2 cups cooked Fairy Tale Pumpkin
1/2 cup almond milk
2 eggs
2 packets stevia
1 Tablespoon honey or maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves


Instructions
Throw everything into a food processor.
Process!
Pour into pie shell.
Cook at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
Then cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Set in fridge overnight.

Eat for breakfast because you are great.

 

 







Toots

 
What's your favorite thing to do with pumpkin?

 
What kinds of seasonal desserts are you nommin'?






















1 comment:

'Drea said...

Not a huge fan of pumpkin at all but substitute sweet potato and I'm all in...